Mission Statement and Objectives
The Nuisance Task Force was created to identify and address nuisance properties in the City of Providence in a systematic and collaborative way. The Task Force includes representatives from the Mayor’s Office, the City Council, the City Solicitor’s Office, the Police Department, the Fire Department, the Department of Public Works, the Department of Inspection and Standards, the Office of Neighborhood Services, Planning and Development and Tax Collection. The goal of the Task Force is to resolve current and long-standing nuisance properties throughout the City and to educate individuals and communities to prevent new nuisances.
To protect and improve the quality of life in neighborhoods throughout the City of Providence by coordinating interdepartmental collaboration that identifies, targets, and abates nuisance properties.
Nuisance Property Defined
Any property that, by virtue of condition, activity, or situation, poses a threat to the health, safety, or welfare of the community or that otherwise interferes with the quiet use and enjoyment of nearby properties.
Goals and Objectives
- To identify nuisance properties throughout the City of Providence.
- To develop and implement strategies for nuisance abatement that are individually tailored to targeted nuisance property.
- To assist the owners and interested parties of nuisance properties in abating the nuisances.
- To prosecute the owners and interested parties of nuisance properties who fail or refuse to abate nuisances.
- To facilitate the transfer of abandoned or otherwise severely neglected properties to responsible owners.
- To identify potential urban redevelopment and neighborhood revitalization opportunities and to facilitate the coordinated and efficient realization of these opportunities.
- To provide community education and awareness with respect to nuisance avoidance and abatement, responsible ownership, and landlord-tenant relations.
- To improve the overall quality of housing in the City of Providence.
- Providence Ramps Up Effort Against Nuisance Properties.
- Mayor & Solicitor Tour Nuisance Properties.
- Successful passage of the ‘Drug House Ordinance.’
- Meetings with Owners/Landlords: Ralph Street.
- Demolitions: Public Street; Joslin Street.
- Clean and Liens: Seabury Street; Roosevelt Street.
For more information, please contact Noah Kilroy at 401-680-5333 or .