The Providence Police Department has formalized an internship program for Criminal Justice students interested in gaining first-hand experience working in the field of law enforcement, while also gaining valuable insight into both the criminal justice system and the field of crime analysis.
Selected students will be assigned to one of the internship’s primary work stations which are within the Administrative Division. Interns will assist in research, analytical assignments, and other administrative duties. Interns may also be assigned to one of the nine district sub-stations located throughout Providence, working directly with District Lieutenants and other officers in reviewing and analyzing crimes. Interns may be assigned to attend the weekly Providence Police Department staff meeting and will assist in preparing a variety of materials for these meetings. These functions are not only educational, but are essential to department functions.
There are times when unit supervisors will allow their assigned interns, on an individual basis, to ride out with patrol personnel. However, due to high liability, this will be left up to the unit supervisor.
Summarized intern duties will include:
- Summarizing crime reports
- Creating and maintaining “crimes of interest” charts and “crime flash sheets”
- Working with the department’s crime-data management system
- Assisting with “crime mapping” throughout the city of Providence
- Writing reports and filing important documents
- Mature, reliable, trustworthy, dependable, highly motivated, positive, enthusiastic attitude
- Excellent computer and communication skills
- Able to meet strict deadlines and maintain confidentiality with respect to both crime data and the identities of those individuals involved in criminal activity
BASIC REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY:
- An overall GPA of 2.75
- A Criminal Justice Major
- Preferably in their senior year
NOTE: If you are a Johnson and Wales University student we work through the University’s Experiential Education & Career Service and will have to contact that office to apply.Click here to complete the Internship Program Application