The heart and soul of the Providence park system are its Neighborhood Parks.
Neighborhood parks are a vital part of every community. Providence is proud to offer a diverse park system that spans over 100 parks in neighborhoods throughout the city. These neighborhood parks offer a variety of open space opportunities from quiet, serene green space; to playgrounds, basketball courts and ball-fields; to walking trails, nature conservancies, canoe launches and sailing. A variety of monuments, statues, sculpture and fountains also enhance many neighborhood park spaces.
The City has also partnered with many active neighborhood groups who have helped to expand our open space opportunities even further to include the development & redevelopment of walking trails through nature conservancies, several community gardens, farmer’s markets and a variety of special events and park programming, keeping park spaces active and strengthening community spirit and bonds between neighbors.
The Providence parks system currently includes:
- 103 Neighborhood parks
- 12 Downtown parks
- 1 Roger Williams Park
- 1,400 acres
- 31 Ball-fields (Little League, Cal Ripken and Softball)
- 8 Soccer fields (adult and youth)
- 30 Basketball courts
- 19 Walking Tracks/Trails
- 2 Tennis courts
- 2 Handball courts
- A major waterfront park at India Point Park which includes a community sailing facility
- Natural Resource Conservation Areas at Blackstone Park and Neutaconkanut Park
- 60 Playgrounds
- Canoe launches along the Woonasquatucket River, Providence River and RWP
- 1 Boat Launch at Gano Street Park
- 1 Providence RiverWalk, which hosts Waterfire
- 9 Community Gardens
- 2 Cemeteries
- 11 Buildings (5 in RWP)
- 4 Farmer’s Markets
- 3 Off Leash Dog Parks
- 4 Skateboard parks
- 1 Off-road bike park
Any person or organization planning, organizing, conducting or otherwise promoting any activity to take place in any city park or any portion thereof, which anticipated or desired attendance in excess of twenty-five (25) persons, must obtain a Park Permit for such activity.