All permits for Street Closures, Emergency No Parking, Tow Zone, Special Events and Overnight Parking will be issued Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:15 PM, except during July and August, when the operating hours will be 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM.
About the Overnight Parking Program
The City of Providence recently expanded its overnight parking program so that now more residents, including students from Providence-based colleges and universities, can apply for an overnight parking permit. Residents may register for a permit at Traffic Engineering or the Municipal Court.
Obtaining an overnight parking permit
- Permits cost $100 per year for cars registered in Providence. Permits cost $200 per year for cars registered outside of Providence.
- Residents must bring valid, original car registration.
- There is a limit of two permits per household/unit and there is a 6500 lb weight restriction per vehicle to qualify. College dormitories are not eligible for permits. Buildings with six units or more should be able to demonstrate a significant hardship to be eligible for a parking permit.
- Any unpaid tickets issued on the vehicle registration must be paid in order to obtain a parking permit.
- Residents will be required to provide a valid email address that the City will use to provide permit holders information about parking bans.
Permits can be purchased at the following locations:
- Traffic Engineering located at 700 Allens Avenue, Providence, R.I. 02905
- Mondays – Friday 8:30 AM to 4:14 PM, except in July and August, when hours will be from 8:30 AM to 3:30PM.
- This location accepts the following payment methods: money orders, checks and credit cards.
- Municipal Court located at the Public Safety Complex, 325 Washington Street, Providence, R.I. 02905
- Monday – Friday from 7:30 AM to 2:00 PM, except during July and August, when hours will be 7:30 AM to 1:30 PM.
- This location accepts the following payment methods: money orders, cash and credit cards.
A window sticker will be provided and must be applied to the upper left-hand corner of the rear window. Once the permit sticker is applied, residents can park overnight on the street in areas designated by district parking maps.
As part of Providence’s overnight parking program, the Providence Police Department has discontinued its ‘do not tag’ policy for vehicles parked on the street from 2:00 – 5:00 AM. Residents are advised to purchase an overnight parking permit to ensure that visitors parked on the street in front of their homes are not ticketed overnight.
Residents with an overnight parking pass can either park on the street and let their guest park in their driveway, or purchase an annual guest pass, enabling guests to park on the street. Guest passes cost $25 and can be used up to five (5) times per month and are available to resident permit holders only.Permit Parking Instructions Permit Parking Application Permit Parking FAQ Permit Parking District Maps Permit Parking Regulations