The recorder’s office registers documents relating to land evidence (deeds, mortgages, liens, etc.) for the City of Providence. Maintenance of the paper and digital holdings of the City’s non-archived land evidence records. We provide accurate and courteous service to customers requiring land document assistance and recording as well as execute the state law to monitor foreclosure mediation compliance to protect the City’s homeowners.
You can search the City’s on-line database of land evidence documents from August 1, 2004 to the present. There is no cost to view these documents, although a charge will apply to print copies. Emergency title search available. See link below.
Recording a document during COVID-19 Closure
- There is no entry to City Hall. USPS or UPS/Fed-Ex is preferred. In-person document delivery is available Tuesday or Thursday, 10 AM – 1 PM, at the rear entrance.
- Deeds must have the actual sale price noted on it in order to be recorded.
- Only original documents are accepted for filing. The document is returned to you.
- See button below for a complete list of fees
Payment for Recording or Copies
- We accept checks and money orders only. We will accept currency (exact change) for up to two copies (in other words, $3.00)
Researching a document
- The research room is currently closed
- Documents recorded from August 2004 to the present can be computer-searched – see link below.
- Emergency title searches are available during the closure. Click here for Emergency Title Request and Instructions..
Non-resident Landlord filing
Non-resident landlords must comply with RIGL sections 34-18-22.3 (designation of agent) and 34-18-57 (absentee landlord enforcement act) by registering with the RI Secretary of State and filing information with this office.
In complying, we recommend recording the Secretary of State’s form with us and annotating on the form the absentee landlord’s phone number.
The Secretary of State’s form (“Designation of Agent for Non-resident Landlord” form 34-18-22) is available on line at www.sec.state.ri.us/corps (look under Miscellaneous Filings).
Recorded maps and drawings
- As of November 12, 2019 previously available only in City Hall in the Docuware terminals, are now merged with all other recordings and are available online.