Quick Facts for Recorder of Deeds + Land Evidence Records
John A. Murphy, Recorder of Deeds (acting)
Phone: 401-620-5545 Fax: 401-680-5679
Room: 508, City Hall
Here are some quick facts to help you with the office of land evidence records. Please call ahead if you have any questions.
The recorder’s office registers documents relating to land evidence (deeds, mortgages, liens, etc.) for the City of Providence.
You can search the City’s on-line database of land evidence documents from August 1, 2004 to the present. There is no cost to view these documents, although a charge will apply to print copies. Click HERE to access this web-based service.
Recording a document
- Documents can be recorded from 8:30-3:30 every weekday. During July and August, the last recording is at 3:00 pm.
- Deeds must have the Assessor’s plat and lot and actual sale price noted on it in order to be recorded.
- Only original documents are accepted for filing. The document is returned to you.
- Fees are set statewide. For a complete list of fees, click HERE
Payment for Recording or Copies
- Copies cost $1.50 per page.
- We accept checks and money orders only. We will accept currency (exact change) for up to two copies (in other words, $3.00)
- A self-service copy machine is available.
Researching a document
- The research room is open from 8:30-4:25.
- Documents recorded from July 1984 to the present can be computer-searched in our research room.
Non-resident Landlord filing
Non-resident landlords must comply with RIGL sections 34-18-22.3 (designation of agent) and 34-18-57 (absentee landlord enforcement act) by registering with the RI Secretary of State and filing information with this office.
In complying, we recommend recording the Secretary of State’s form with us and annotating on the form the absentee landlord’s phone number.
The Secretary of State’s form (“Designation of Agent for Non-resident Landlord” form 34-18-22) is available on line at www.sec.state.ri.us/corps (look under Miscellaneous Filings).