Below are the requirements necessary to be accepted into the recruitment process:
1. Must be at least 18 years or older at the beginning of the Training Academy
2. Must have a High School Diploma or G.E.D. at the beginning of the Training Academy.
3. Must have a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
4. Must agree to informational and medical reviews.
When filing an application all applicants must bring the original copies of the following documents to:
– Division of Training located at 274 Reservoir Avenue, Providence, RI 02907.
- Bring a valid motor vehicle operator’s license with a photo I.D.
- Birth certificate or legal residence documentation.
- Original BCI Check from RI Attorney General (within 30 days of application).
Application + Selection Process
- Complete the online application process including the above-required documents.
- Fifty dollar ($50.00) application fee – paid online
- Successfully pass the written examinations
Note: Ten (10) points will be awarded to City of Providence Residents with proper documentation.
- Successfully pass CPAT Test
- Background investigation will be conducted
- Medical Exam, including drug screening
- Psychological Exam
- Oral Interview
- Applicants must successfully attain an EMT Basic Licensure before completion of the Training Academy.
- Note an EMT Basic course will be provided to qualified Applicants during the first segment of the Training Academy.
- Must obtain licensure for EMT – Cardiac within 18 months of hire.
- Successful completion of the Providence Fire Department’s Training Academy, to include:
- NFPA 1001 Firefighter level I & II (RISFA) and Providence Fire Department Required Curriculum.
Additional Employment Information
- Medical, dental and pension benefits.
- Opportunities to work in the EMS field.
- Opportunity for specialized training in various areas including Hazardous Materials, Confined Space, and Investigations.
- Opportunity to work in the third largest City and one of the largest fire departments in New England.
- Those applicants unable to secure the fifty dollar ($50.00) application fee can apply to the Chief of Department for a hardship waiver. Inquire at the Division of Training for further details.
Providence Fire Core Values
The City of Providence is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act