Power outages happen unexpectedly and can happen for many reasons, include severe weather and infrastructure failure. Outages can disrupt water, communications, and transportation and can close businesses such as banks, ATMs, gas stations, and grocery stores.
Preparing for a Power Outage
- Sign up for Rhode Island’s Special Needs Emergency Registry if you need power for medical equipment
- Have a battery-powered AM/FM radio
- Have a flashlight with extra batteries
- Charge electrical devices, including an external cell phone battery
- Preserve cell phone battery life
- Make an emergency kit for your home