An Accident or Incident Report can be requested as follows:
Request from PPD – Records Department
- You must make an appointment to pick up the report.
- The Records Office can be reached at (401) 243-6416 or at .
- Appointments can be scheduled between the hours of are 8:30 AM to 2:30.
- There are times when the police reports you seek will not be available at the time of your request. Please be advised that the Access to Public Records Act gives a public body ten (10) business days to respond.
- If you feel you have been denied access a police report, you have the right to appeal to the Police Chief.
- If you are still not satisfied, you may file a complaint with the Department of Attorney General, located at 4 Howard Avenue, Cranston, RI 02920, or file suit in Superior Court.
The Access to Public Records Act gives you the opportunity to view and/or copy police reports. The cost per copied page of written public documents will be $00.15 (fifteen cents) for documents that can be copied on common business or legal-size paper. The Act permits a reasonable charge for search and retrieval of documents. The hourly cost for a search and retrieval shall not exceed fifteen ($15.00) per hour, with no charge for the first hour. We would be more than happy to provide you with an estimate. Upon a request, we will provide a detailed itemization of the cost charged for search and retrieval.
Purchase Online Crash/Accident Report
- Involved parties and commercial account holders can purchase crash reports quickly and easily with LexisNexis® Police Reports.
- As an involved party in an accident, ordering a copy of the report is easy with LexisNexis® Police Reports.
- Eliminate the need to drive to the police department, find parking and stand in line to request a copy of your accident report.
- You can quickly access and download a copy of the report without leaving your home or office.