Mayor Announces Free 2-Hour Saturday Parking in Commercial Districts, Asks Shoppers to Share Their Experiences Using Hashtag #BuyIntoSpring
Mayor Jorge O. Elorza today kicked off a ‘Buy Into Spring’ campaign encouraging residents and visitors to “think, shop and buy locally” in the City.
“Let’s support our local businesses at the start of spring and help make people aware of the wonderful retail, dining and performance opportunities in our City,” said Mayor Elorza. “I am excited to announce free 2-hour parking on Saturdays in business districts and I look forward to shopping and dining at local businesses throughout the week.”
Mayor Elorza was joined at the kick-off by Laurie White from the Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce, Martha Sheridan from the Providence Warwick Visitors & Convention Bureau, City Council President Luis Aponte and members of the Providence business community.
The Mayor concluded the kick-off by visiting local shops and restaurants throughout the City. Today’s visits included venues in the Arcade, Westminster Street, Hope Street and Atwells Avenue. The Mayor will continue to visit venues across the City throughout the week.
Business owners, shoppers and diners are encouraged to share their experiences this week using the hashtag #BuyIntoSpring on social media.
Free 2-hour parking on Saturdays will begin on April 18 and run each Saturday through May 9 in the following commercial districts throughout the City:
- Atwells Avenue – Bradford Street to Knight Street
- Broad Street – Public Street to Montgomery Street
- Downtown Providence – bounded by Fountain Street, Memorial Boulevard, Weybosset Street
- Empire Street and Friendship Street – from Dyer Street to Dorrance Street
- Hope Street – Rochambeau Avenue to Blackstone Boulevard
- North Main Street – Thomas Street to Park Row
- Olneyville Square – Route 10 to Sydney Street and Delaine Street to Atwood Street to Magnolia Street
- South Main Street – James Street to Packet Street
- Point St – From Eddy to East Franklin St
- Thayer Street – Meeting Street to Bowen Street
- Wayland Square – East Angell Street/Angell Street to Gano Street and Wayland Avenue from Angell Street to Pitman Street
- Wickenden/Ives – Wickenden Street at Benefit Street to Ives Street at Preston Street
While parking meter violations will not be issued during free 2-hour parking in the specified districts, 2-hour parking limits will be enforced to allow all residents to take advantage of the campaign.