The recorder’s office registers documents relating to land evidence (deeds, mortgages, liens, etc.) for the City of Providence. The office maintains the paper and digital holdings of the City’s non-archived land evidence records. We provide accurate and courteous service to customers requiring land document assistance and recording as well as execute the state law to monitor foreclosure mediation compliance to protect the City’s homeowners.
RESEARCHING A DOCUMENT
- You can access the vault for title searches by booking a two hour slot with the Recorder’s Office. Call 680-5545 between 8:30am and 4pm Mon-Thurs to make a reservation Starting June 4, City Hall will be open Fridays too.
- Admission to City Hall is through the rear door of City Hall (handicap entrance). Upon arriving, ring the doorbell at Rm 506 at the time of your reservation for admittance.
- Room capacity may vary with Covid restrictions, but you must wear a mask when working in the vault.
- Please structure your work so you can complete your research within the time slot you reserve.
Upcoming City Hall closings:
- Monday, May 31 for Memorial Day
- Monday, July 5 for Independence Day
- Monday August 9 for Victory Day
- Monday September 6 for Labor Day
Providence accepts electronic document recording (eRecording) through CSC and Simplifile. Due to staff furloughs, your document may be queued but not recorded until the following business day. For fees and set up contact the provider.
Payment for Recording or Copies
- We accept checks and money orders only. We will accept currency (exact change) for up to two copies (in other words, $3.00)
Recorded maps and drawings
- As of November 12, 2019, previously available only in City Hall in the Docuware terminals, are now merged with all other recordings and are available online.
Non-resident Landlord filing
Non-resident landlords must comply with RIGL sections 34-18-22.3 (designation of agent) and 34-18-57 (absentee landlord enforcement act) by registering with the RI Secretary of State and filing information with this office.
In complying, we recommend recording the Secretary of State’s form with us and annotating on the form the absentee landlord’s phone number.
The Secretary of State’s form (“Designation of Agent for Non-resident Landlord” form 34-18-22) is available online at www.sec.state.ri.us/corps (look under Miscellaneous Filings).
During the COVID emergency, only half of our staff is working at any given time. As always, you can use the “Contact Us” link to request assistance.
The City’s on-line database of land evidence documents from August 1, 2004, to the present. There is no cost to view these documents, although a charge will apply to print copies.
Email Us:Search Land Records Document Database Statewide Recording Fees Foreclosure Ordinance