Superintendent of Highway Superintendent of Sewer
Sal Solomon William Randall
The Highway and Sewer Divisions of DPW are among the most visible group of City employees. Highway is made up of 57 employees (including foremen), Sewer is made up of 10 employees (including foremen) under the direction of the Highway Superintendent and Sewer Superintendent.
The Highway Division is responsible for the following services to the City of Providence:
• Pothole repair and road maintenance for 370 miles of roadway.
• Monitoring the safety of 50 City owned bridges.
• Cleaning and repair of City owned sidewalks.
• Plowing and Sanding of City streets during winter snow.
• Removal of litter and debris from City owned property, streets and sidewalks.
• Street sweeping of all City streets.
• Clean up following neighborhood, organizational and ethnic festivals.
• Environmental clean-ups with the City’s Environmental Department during clean and liens of private property.
The Sewer Division is responsible for the following services:
• Cleaning, maintenance and repair of City sewer mains.
• Repair of inlet stones.
• Catch basin cleaning and repair.
• Repair of broken pipes owned and operated by the City.