Welcome to the LGBTQIA+ Community Access Page
Providence as an LGBTQIA+ affirming city
The City of Providence has a proud history of affirming the LGBTQIA+ community. Over the past seven years, Providence has consistently been the only city in Rhode Island to receive a perfect 100 rating on the Human Rights Campaign’s (HRC) Municipal Equality Index. This index takes into account policies and practices that indicate strong support for LGBTQIA+ communities.
We value our LGBTQIA+ residents and have taken numerous actions to affirm and protect them, including but not limited to:
- Updating the City’s health insurance policy to include gender-affirming care
- Testifying in support of a ban on conversion therapy for minors
- Updated City’s health insurance policy to extend benefits to transgender city employees and retirees
- Raised the transgender flag at City Hall to commemorate Transgender Day of Remembrance
- Designated all-gender restrooms in municipal buildings (currently at City Hall, Providence Public Safety Complex, Providence School Department, and the Joseph A. Dooley Municipal Building at 444 Westminster St.)
- The City school board passed a wide-ranging policy to support transgender students, which includes provisions about bathrooms and other school facilities
- City brought in TGI Network to train city staff, including our municipal court judges, on how to be more inclusive and welcoming to the transgender community
- Encouraged City staff to include pronouns in their email signatures to foster an environment of gender equity
Key City Links
- Request the Mayor to attend an event
- Become a Vendor with the City
- Apply for a job with the City
- Request a Free All-Gender Restroom Sign for Your Small Business or Organization
o As of January 2021, all places of public accommodation with existing single-stall restrooms are required to designate them as all-gender. The City has allocated funding to provide businesses and organizations with signs. This financial support deepens the City’s commitment to equality, while also ensuring our businesses remain in compliance with state law.
LGBTQIA+ Specific Policies
City non-discrimination policy
Workplace transition guidelines for City employees
Visiting City Buildings
All-gender restrooms are located in City Hall, the Public Safety Building, 444 Westminster, and the School Department.
Support for Transgender, Non-binary and Gender Non-Conforming Youth
Transgender, non-binary and gender non-conforming youth are welcomed and supported by the City of Providence.
Please feel free to reach out to City staff for resources for topics including, but not limited to:
- Getting your or your child’s gender marker or name changed on an ID.
- Teachers or administrators using the wrong name or pronouns at school.
- Having to use an incorrect or highly inconvenient bathroom or locker room at school.
- Other forms of discrimination or harassment.
Please contact Andi Wheeler (they/them) at email@example.com or Bret Jacob (he/him) at firstname.lastname@example.org for further guidance.
Community Resource Links
- General Name Change Guidance – Provided by Thundermist Health Center’s Trans* Access Health Team
- Open Door Health
Safe, confidential, and inclusive health care specifically tailored for LGBTQIA+ communities.
Address: 7 Central Street Providence, RI 02907
Phone Number: (401) 648-4700
- Project Weber/Renew – Beyond the Understanding of Gender
Program services include a community support group, transition support, support changing documents, and individual case management.
Address: Providence and Pawtucket locations
Phone Number: (401) 383-4888
- Thundermist Health Center – Trans Health Access
The Trans Health Access Team is a group of medical, behavioral health, and allied service professionals working to improve access to culturally and clinically competent healthcare for the trans community.
Address: Multiple locations
Phone Number: (401) 467-4100
Voting While Trans* in Rhode Island is a comprehensive voting guide for Transgender and Non-binary residents. This resource was compiled by Thundermist Health Center’s Trans* Health Access team.
LGBTQIA+ owned businesses
- Alley Cat
Address: 17 Snow Street, Providence, RI 02903
Phone Number: (401) 272-6369
- Brooklyn Coffee Tea & Guest House
Address: 209 Douglas Avenue, Providence, RI 02903
Phone Number: (401) 270-3100
- The Dark lady
Address: 19 Snow Street, Providence, RI 02903
Phone Number: (401) 272-6369
- Small Format
Address: 335 Wickenden Street, Providence, RI 02903
Phone Number: (401) 808-6139
- And more coming soon!
LGBTQIA+ local media
- Options Magazine
Address: P.O. Box 6406 Providence, RI 02940
Phone Number: (401) 217-3939
- The City does not endorse nor favor any business or resource over another
- For a comprehensive list of resources, please visit Options (https://www.optionsri.org/)
- To submit an additional resource link or business, please contact LGBTQIA+ Liaison Bret Jacob at email@example.com