Racial and Environmental Justice Committee Application 2019
The Racial and Environmental Justice Committee (REJC) is a critical part of the Equity in Sustainability Providence Initiative. The REJC is made up of community members and local government officials working together to integrate voices and concerns of our communities into City decision-making through the Office of Sustainability. This initiative comes from the desire to shift the structures that have contributed to inequities based on race in Providence.
The REJ Committee is looking for 4 community members to join us who can say yes to the following:
– Identify as Black, Indigenous and/or a person of color.
– Have some experience with organizing, base building, or environmental justice;
– Are interested in collaborating with other community members and local government representatives to come up with
recommendations to ensure their communities’ environmental priorities are represented
Roles and Responsibilities:
* Contribute to group recommendations for integrating concerns of people of color into city sustainability planning
* Attend all 4 committee meetings between February and May 2019, the third Saturday of each month from 10-1:30PM, and one meeting each month between September and December (date/time TBD).
* February 16
* March 16
* April 20
* May 18
* Sep – Dec dates TBD.
* Participate in one two-day racial equity training
* Attend the day long retreat in February
* Attend 2-day training in September/October
* Provide a plan for how you will connect with 10+ community members about equity in sustainability and report back findings to the group
– Engagement can be flexible, we provide the following list of examples that we’ve seen work: one-on-one meeting, phone calls, group meetings in an easy to get to space (e.g. apartment building, community center, mall, cafe, etc.), surveys
* Help drive participation and collect feedback from the base.
This is a commitment from February 2019 to December 2019 requiring significant time and effort (approximately 8-10 hours per month) including attendance at all REJ Committee meetings, trainings and retreats.
Stipend, Support, and Training:
Each REJ Committee member will receive an honorarium of $1300 for their participation. Childcare at meetings, accommodations for people with disabilities, and interpretation/translation, will also be provided.
Members will receive training on: Anti-racism● Base building ● Environmental justice ● Connecting environmental sustainability to social and economic issues faced by communities
The application is due on January 31st, 2019.
We will be selecting 4 community members to be a part of this group to join the existing 6 community members and 5 local government members. We welcome all applicants including those who have interpretation, disability, and/or childcare needs.
Visit https://www.providenceri.gov/sustainability/equity/ for more details.
Para ver la versión en español siga el siguiente link: https://goo.gl/forms/edi3sSGSwdyHjruJ3