August 17, 2022
PROVIDENCE, RI – Mayor Jorge O. Elorza, Providence City Councilwoman Jo-Ann Ryan (Ward 5) and Lizzie Araujo, Director of Providence’s Department of Art, Culture + Tourism today announced a new grant application process for Providence special events hosted by Providence nonprofit art and/or cultural organizations.
“The COVID-19 pandemic hit our arts and culture community hard,” said Mayor Jorge O. Elorza. “As the Creative Capital, it’s important that we support our artists and invest in the special events and programming that brings people together in our city.”
Applicants can apply for grants to cover reimbursements up to $50,000 of demonstrated need. To be eligible for funding, nonprofit art and/or cultural organizations must:
- have an address in the City of Providence;
- meet the definition of “nonprofit” tax exempt 501c3 organization;
- meet the definition of being an art and/or culture-based organization (e.g. neighborhood associations and arts organizations);
- provide public special events programming (e.g. outdoor restaurant events; cultural events and festivals; or craft and food markets); and
- have experienced negative impacts or disproportionate impacts of the pandemic as demonstrated by a year-to-year financial comparison with the fiscal year ending prior to March 2020.
All applicants must submit a full application, which includes all documentation, by clicking here.
“Arts, Culture, and Tourism are vital to the fabric of Providence and an essential component of our economic recovery. I’m pleased to see this critical ARPA funding going to local organizations negatively impacted by the COVID pandemic,” said Finance Chairwoman Jo-Ann Ryan (Ward 5). “I look forward to seeing how the $500,000 will be invested into rebuilding the creative community here in the Capital City.”
Art, Culture + Tourism staff can provide application support through appointments on a first come, first served basis on Thursday mornings from 9:00 AM until 11:00 AM. To make an appointment, email or text 401-347-4633 with your contact name and organization listed on your application, as well as two desired dates and times for an appointment.
Awards will be made on a rolling basis and applications will be reviewed while funds are available. Please allow 10 business days after submission before inquiring about application status. To apply for this grant program or for more information, visit pvdrescueplan.com/apply/ or contact the City of Providence Art, Culture + Tourism Department at 401-680-5770.
The Special Event Support Program is being funded by the City of Providence’s American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) federal funding. Information on all ARPA programs and projects for the City of Providence can be found at pvdrescueplan.com.