City to Extend Meal Site Service, Waterpark Operations, and Play Ambassador Programming
PROVIDENCE, RI – Mayor Jorge O. Elorza in partnership with the Providence Parks Department, the Providence Recreation Department, and the Providence Public School Department, announced Wednesday extended youth meal distribution site service and extended waterpark openings and Play Ambassador supports. Due to the statewide delay in school openings caused by COVID-19, the City has expanded summer services offered to youth and families to prevent gaps in access to nutritious food and safe recreation.
YOUTH MEAL DISTRIBUTION
Youth meal service will continue at summer meal sites as-is through Monday, August 31. Revised meal service will run from Tuesday, September 1 through Friday, September 11. There will be no service on Monday, September 7 in observance of Labor Day. Multi-day meal distribution will begin on Tuesday, September 1 on Tuesdays and Fridays from 11:00AM to 2:00PM at the following sites:
- Mt. Pleasant High School (434 Mt. Pleasant Ave.)
- Gilbert Stuart Middle School (188 Princeton Ave.)
- Providence Career and Technical Academy (41 Fricker St.)
- Juanita Sanchez Educational Complex (182 Thurbers Ave.)
- Alan Shawn Feinstein Elementary School (450 Broad St.)
- Hartford Park (Across 300 Hartford Ave.)
Daily summer meal distribution will continue at various times on Tuesday, September 1 at the following sites:
- George J. West Park (12:15pm-2:15pm) Chalkstone/ Mt. Pleasant Ave.
- Sackett Street Park (12:00pm-2:00pm) 110 Sackett St.
- Harriett and Sayles Park (12:00pm-2:00pm) 199 Oxford St.
- General Street Playground (12:00pm-2:00pm) 11 West Drive
- Joslin Park & Playground (11:30am-1:30pm) 17 Hyatt St.
- Neutaconkanut Park (11:45am-1:45pm) 675 Plainfield St.
In order to best meet the needs of community members, Providence Housing Authority youth meal distribution sites will continue at Chad Brown & Admiral Terrace and Manton Heights on Tuesday and Fridays from 11:00AM to 2:00PM.
WATERPARKS & PLAY AMBASSADOR PROGRAMMING EXTENSION
The City and Providence Parks Department will be extending operations and staffing at waterparks to September 12. Many waterparks also serve as meal site distribution locations.
The below parks and playgrounds listed below will offer Play Ambassador staffing through September 12. The Providence Parks Finder can be utilized to find nearby park locations. Recreation Department locations can be found on the Department’s website Locations with extended programming include:
- Donigian Park
- Neutaconkanut Park
- John O. Pastore Park
- Joslin Park & Playground
- General St./Providence Recreation Headquarters
- Paul Grande Park
- West End Rec Center
- Riverside Park
- Harriet & Sayles Park
- Richardson Park
- Miguel Luna Park
- Dexter Training Ground
- James Ahern Park
- Cabral Park
- Billy Taylor Playground
- George J. West Park
- Mt. Pleasant Park
- Columbia Park Playground
- Brandon’s Beach Playground
- Corliss Park
- Merino Park
- India Point Park Playground
- Gladys Potter Park
- Father Lennon Park
- Pearl Street Playground
- Kerry Kohring Park
- Conlon Memorial Park
A full list of COVID-19 resources can be found at PVDCOVID19.com.