City Encourages Businesses to Apply for Alternative Use of Parking Spaces
May 22, 2018
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Mayor Jorge O. Elorza announced that beginning today Friday, May 22, the City will offer free, two-hour parking in designated commercial districts through July 31st. Businesses can also apply to repurpose parking spaces adjacent to their business as take-out spaces for streamlined pick-up, take-out, and delivery services or to increase outdoor dining space.
“We know that our restaurants and small businesses are going to great lengths to reopen safely for customers and that comes with new challenges,” said Mayor Jorge Elorza. “We want to support those establishments and folks visiting them by making it as easy as possible to do business. As we continue to reimagine how we support our local economy, I encourage all of our businesses to help us shape how we think, shop, and dine in Providence.”
As part of ReThinkPVD, a campaign to redefine how people experience Providence’s world-class cuisine and local economy, establishments can apply at www.ReThinkPVD.com, to use up to two legal parking spaces directly outside of their establishment as designated take-out spaces for up to 15 minutes by patrons. This application is free of charge and upon approval, establishments will be provided with signage for their designated spaces. Establishments are also encouraged to continue registering for outdoor dining and extension of premises applications by visiting the website.
The City will also offer up to two hours of free parking in designated commercial districts throughout Providence. Two hours of free parking will be offered every day from 10:00AM until 9:00PM beginning Friday, May 22, 2020, through July 31st in the following commercial districts:
- Atwells Avenue – Bradford Street to Knight Street
- Spruce Street – Dean Street to Acorn Street
- Dean Street – Atwells Avenue to West Exchange Street
- Acorn Street – Spruce Street to Atwells Avenue
- Bradford Street – Atwells Avenue to Jones Street
- Bond Street – Atwells Avenue to Spruce Street
- Broad Street – Public Street to Montgomery Street
- Downtown Providence – bounded by Fountain Street, Memorial Boulevard, Weybosset Street, Empire Street and Friendship Street (from Dyer Street to Dorrance Street)
- Hope Street – Rochambeau Avenue to Blackstone Boulevard
- North Main Street – Thomas Street to Park Row
- Olneyville Square – Route 10 to Sydney Street and Delaine Street to Atwood Street to Magnolia Street
- South Main Street – James Street to Packet Street
- Point Street – From Eddy to East Franklin Street
- Thayer Street – Bowen Street to Waterman Street
- Wayland Square – East Angell Street/Angell Street to Gano Street and Wayland Avenue from Angell Street to Pitman Street
- Wickenden/Ives – Wickenden Street at Benefit Street to Ives Street at Preston Street
While parking meter violations will not be issued during free two-hour parking in the specified districts, parking time limits will be enforced.
For more information on COVID-19, current small business supports, and best practices you can share, residents can visit our website, call to connect to the Mayor’s Center for City Services by dialing 3-1-1, visiting www.PVD311.com or downloading the PVD311 mobile app on your smartphone for 24/7 access. Residents can register to receive CodeRED emergency notifications by phone, email, text, and/or mobile alerts for the latest updates from the City and to reach out to the Rhode Island Department of Health’s COVID-19 Assistance Line at 401-222-8022 Monday through Friday during regular business hours should they have additional questions.