The City of Providence and Arup have joined forces to engage the community in 6-month journey to reimagine the public spaces in and around Greater Kennedy Plaza to be more inviting, inclusive, and connected.
VIRTUAL PUBLIC MEETINGS
Public Meeting #1
Public Meeting #2
February 2021: Date and time coming soon.
An interactive webpage has been created to keep the community up-to-date on the status of Imagine Downtown Providence. We encourage you visit www.imaginedowntownpvd.com to view learn more about the process and to sign up to receive alerts specific to our work.
As part of the project, ARUP will develop 30% design plans for the following elements:
- A cohesive artistic lighting plan that visually connects and activates the spaces
- A utility plan for Waterplace Park, the tunnels, and Riverwalk between Francis and Steeple streets
- Modifications to the Exchange Terrace and Memorial Boulevard tunnels
- A plan for shade structures and two temporary liner buildings at the Providence Rink
- A capital investment and programming plan for the central plaza area at Kennedy Plaza
- A new and improved stage in Waterplace Park
- Accessibility improvements to make Waterplace Park and the Riverwalk between Francis Street and Exchange Terrace/Steeple Street safer and better connected
- Improvements to improve the overall climate resilience in Waterplace Park and along the Riverwalk