WHY WE RECYCLE
Recycling is one of the best ways for you to have a positive impact on the City of Providence. Today, recycling is critical not only to the environment, but equally as important to each of us. The amount of waste we create is increasing a a rapid pace.
The amount of garbage is increasing because:
- People are buying more products and that creates more waste.
- As new packaging and technological products are being developed, much of these products contain materials that are not biodegradable.
- Our lifestyles are surrounded by waste byproducts that are not biodegradable, like eating fast food and pre-packaged products.
Recycling is very important as waste has a huge negative impact on the natural environment.
- Harmful chemicals and greenhouse gasses are released from garbage in our landfill. Recycling diverts waste from the landfill and helps to reduce the pollution caused by that waste.
- Recycling reduces the need for raw materials and allows for the reuse of those products. This reduces the need for additional new resources and helps preserve our environment.
- Recycling requires much less energy. When we recycle, we are saving huge amounts of energy that it takes to produce goods from raw materials.
IMPORTANCE TO PEOPLE
Recycling is essential to our City and the people who live and work here.
- No space for waste, our landfill is filling up fast. There is only 1 landfill in Rhode Island and space is at a premium.
- Recycling is a cost savings strategy that reduces expenses and preerves precious natural resources.
- Recycling ensures that we are preserving our natural resources for future generations.
FREQUENTLY ASKED RECYCLING QUESTIONS
Recycling can sometimes be confusing and it can be difficult to know whether you are following all the right rules. Improve your recycling efforts by learning some what to recycling and what is not recyclable.
WHAT CAN I PUT IN MY RECYCLING BARREL?
TOP 10 REASONS TO RECYCLE