2019-2020 Liquor License Renewal
Below you will find information regarding your 2019-2020 liquor license renewal. Read carefully as the Licensing Office, in its best effort to improve the renewal process, has made some changes. All sections of the application must be accurate and complete. You must contact the Licensing Office by October 1st, 2019 if you do not intend to renew your liquor license. There will be no paper applications accepted.
RENEWAL APPLICATION AND DEADLINE
- The deadline to submit your liquor license renewal application and the $100 advertisement fee is Tuesday, October 1, 2019.
- Renewal applications must be filed through the online application portal. An email with a link to a renewal application will be sent to each licensee. The renewal application is accessible via the email address used to create the last application in Viewpoint. If you need to change this email address, please contact the Licensing staff.
- The $100 advertisement fee must be paid at the time your application is submitted and is not refundable.
A liquor license renewal will not be issued until the following conditions are met:
- Good Standing with the Rhode Island Division of Taxation: If you have questions regarding your status, call the Division of Taxation’s main collection line at 401-574-8941 or email .
- City of Providence Tax Clearance: See section labeled CITY TAX CLEARANCE as the process for obtaining a clearance has changed. If you have questions regarding your status, contact the Tax Collector’s Office at 401-331-5252 or email .
- Food Business License from the RI Department of Health, if applicable: See sample document. If you have questions regarding your licensing requirements or status, contact the Department of Health at 401-222-2750 or visit http://health.ri.gov/contact/.
- Police/fire detail, special event permitting fees and other City services fees paid or cleared: If you have questions regarding your status, contact Corey Martone at 401-458-4198, extension 11538 or email.
- All fines ordered by the Board of Licenses prior to October 1, 2019, paid in full. If you have questions regarding any outstanding fines, contact the License Administrator at 401-680-5208 or email .
- Certificate of Liability Insurance: See below section LIABILITY INSURANCE as the requirements have changed.
- Cigarette Dealer License, if applicable: See sample document. If you have questions regarding your license requirements or status, contact the Division of Taxation at 401-574-8484.
CITY TAX CLEARANCE
For your convenience, we have revised the process of obtaining a City tax clearance to avoid the trip to City Hall to obtain a paper copy of the clearance. Effective immediately, the tax clearance will be an approval step within the online application and the licensee will be able to communicate directly with staff from the Collector’s Office through the online portal. Once the staff marks this step complete, the establishment will be considered cleared for the purposes of renewal. If there is a delinquency, the licensee must contact the Collector’s Office to determine the next steps to be in good standing.
To eliminate confusion and possible delays in the processing of your application, review the new requirements for the submission of your Certificate of Insurance with Liquor Liability. See sample Certificate of Insurance. Failure to submit a Certificate of Insurance with the below-listed requirements will delay your license renewal and administrative action will be taken.
The required minimum coverage is $300,000.
- The certificate must include commercial, general and liquor liability and property damage coverage.
- The NAME on the Certificate of Insurance must match exactly the LEGAL LICENSE HOLDER as it appears on the current license.
- The ADDRESS on the Certificate of Insurance must match the address of the licensed premises as it appears on the current license.
- The CERTIFICATE HOLDER, located in the lower-left corner, must identify the City of Providence, Board of Licenses, 25 Dorrance Street, Room 104, Providence, RI 02903.
- POLICY EFFECTIVE DATE and POLICY EXPIRATION DATE must run concurrently with the renewal license. Licenses run starting December 1 through November 30. The insurance coverage cannot expire during the license period.
PLEASE NOTE: Should said liquor liability policy be canceled or lapse, for any reason other than a change in carriers, you will be subject to closure and/or revocation.
SEASONAL EXPANSION OF PREMISES
If your establishment has not held a seasonal expansion of premises license, you are not eligible for this renewal. This information does not pertain to a temporary expansion for a one-time event. Contact the License Administrator to check your establishment’s status or if you have any questions.
APPLICATION FEES AND PAYMENTS
- OPTION 1: Pay online via eCheck, debit/credit card when filling out the online application. Note that there is a convenience fee for online payments.
- OPTION 2: Check or money order payable to the City of Providence, accepted in office or mail to 25 Dorrance Street, Room 104, Providence, RI 02903, include your application number in the memo line.
- CASH PAYMENTS are not accepted.
- INSUFFICIENT FUNDS – Licensee will have one week from the date of notification to correct any returned payments. Once payment is returned, the Licensing Office will only accept payment submitted online or a certified bank check/money order. Administrative action will be taken if not addressed within one week.
LATE OR DELINQUENT RENEWALS
If your application is not complete including the items listed in RENEWAL REQUIREMENTS, your license will be expired December 1 and you will not be able to serve alcoholic beverages until your license is active again. Pursuant to Rhode Island Department of Business Regulation Rule 45, a late fee of 10% of the respective license fee will be charged and must be paid prior to the issuance of the renewal. The License Enforcement Unit of the Providence Police Department will be notified of all non-renewed licenses.
You may be required to attend a hearing regarding the renewal of your license and will be notified 2 weeks prior to that hearing.
APPLICATION ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM via the online portal or by calling 401-680-5219.
Licensing staff cannot complete the renewal application for you and cannot provide legal advice.