-DO NOT REPORT TO CITY HALL UNLESS YOU HAVE AN APPOINTMENT-
Marriage License Requirements
1. Submit an online application here via Viewpoint.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit applications at least two weeks prior to the ceremony date to allow for processing time.
- The following documents are required and uploaded in Viewpoint:
- Certified birth certificates – Originals only
- Must have name(s) of parent(s)
- Valid government-issued form of id
- If applicable, a certified copy of a final divorce decree/dissolution or death certificate
- Proof of residency – utility bill, bank statement, car registration, tax return or pay stub with current address
- Staff will review the application. (NOTE: Actions and comments in Viewpoint automatically are sent to you via email.)
- Staff will upload a draft version of the marriage license that both parties must review. If there are any revisions needed, communicate through the portal those changes. Once the draft is confirmed to be correct, an appointment will be scheduled for both parties to report to City Hall and the marriage license will be issued. All required documents must be brought to the appointment or it will be rescheduled. Documents must be originals; we can accept copies.
- The completed and signed marriage license (use black ink) is returned within 72 hours of the ceremony to the local registrar. Officiants may return via mail, dropbox at City Hall located on Eddy Street in an envelope marked Vitals or at service window on Fulton Street.
- VERY IMPORTANT – must be in black ink only.
- Residential eligibility:
- Providence resident(s) – ceremony may be performed in any city or town in the State of Rhode Island
- Out-of-state residents – ceremony must be performed within the City of Providence
- Marriage of a minor, at least 16 years of age and less than 18 years of age – must sign a minor’s permit in the presence of the registrar or her designee
- Marriage of a minor, either person is less than 16 years old – requires a written order from the Family Court to issue a marriage license
- License expiration – license expires within 3 months from the date of issuance
- Documents not in English – must be certified by a translator and notarized
- License fee is payable by credit/debit card or echeck in Viewpoint. Alternatively, the applicant may pay by check or money order, payable to the City of Providence. See below for mailing address.
- All documents must be originals, no copies will be accepted. Certified documents must have a raised seal.
Providence Vital Records
25 Dorrance Street, Room 104
Providence, RI 02903
RI Marriage Worksheet/License Application RI Marriage Requirements Handbook Printable list of Requirements Officiant’s Marriage Guide