Call us at 401-680-5213 with any questions.
Marriage License Requirements
- Marriage license applications must be submitted in-person with BOTH parties present and all required documents.
- Applications are reviewed on a first come, first served basis Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (NO APPOINTMENTS)
- Certified birth certificates – Originals only
- Must have name(s) of parent(s)
- Valid government-issued form of ID
- If applicable, a certified copy of a final divorce decree/dissolution or death certificate
- Proof of residency – utility bill, bank statement, car registration, tax return or pay stub with current address
- The completed and signed marriage license (use black ink) must be returned within 72 hours of the ceremony to the local registrar. Officiants may return the license via mail, dropbox at City Hall located on Eddy Street in an envelope marked Vitals or at the service window on Fulton Street.
- VERY IMPORTANT – must be in black ink only.
- Residential eligibility:
- Providence resident(s) – ceremony may be performed in any city or town in the State of Rhode Island
- Out-of-state residents – ceremony must be performed within the City of Providence
- All applicants must be 18 years of age or older
- License expiration – license expires within three months from the date of issuance
- Documents not in English – must be certified by a translator and notarized
- License fee is payable by credit/debit card or echeck in Viewpoint. Alternatively, the applicant may pay by check or money order, payable to the City of Providence. See below for mailing address.
- All documents must be originals. No copies will be accepted. Certified documents must have a raised seal.
Providence Vital Records
25 Dorrance Street, Room 104
Providence, RI 02903
RI Marriage Worksheet/License Application