Vehicles registered in Providence, RI are taxed for the previous calendar year. The car tax is not a real time tax!
- For example, the 2017 tax bill is for vehicles registered during the 2016 calendar year.
- You are taxed on how many days out of 365 days of the year your vehicle is registered. If the car is registered for half the year, the tax is half of what it would be if it was registered for the whole year.
- The DMV requires you to physically cancel your registration by returning the plates to the RI DMV.
- Keep the cancellation receipt (TR3) as this is the only proof this office can accept as proof of plate cancellation.
- Moving, selling, donating, vehicle loss, gifting, registering your vehicle in a new state etc., does not constitute the correct way of canceling your registration. You need to notify RI DMV of any address changes within thirty (30) days of moving.
- If you do not return your plates to the RI DMV you will be responsible for the taxes until you do so or the plates expire, whichever occurs first.
For more information regarding registering and cancelling your license plates please refer to www.dmv.ri.gov
You may also contact the Tax Assessor’s Office at 401-421-5900 should you require additional information.