Created by state law (PL 1981 Chapter 332 and amended by PL 1983 Chapter 167 and by PL 1994 Chapter 19) and by Chapter 24 of the City Code of Ordinances, the commission is charged to adopt, implement and administer a plan of development for the Capital Center Special Development District.
The Commission is charged to adopt, implement and administer a plan of development for the Capital Center Special Development District, as provided for by the Rhode Island Special Development District Act (RIGL 45-24.4). This area is a 79 acre redevelopment in the heart of downtown Providence.
Review Process and Regulations
The powers of the commission are vested in the board of commissioners consisting of thirteen members:
- 4 appointed by the governor of the state of Rhode Island
- 4 appointed by the mayor of the city of Providence
- 4 appointed by the chairperson of the Providence Foundation
- 1 appointed by majority vote of the governor, the mayor and the chairperson of the Providence Foundation.
Additionally, there are 4 ex officio commissioners:
- The chairperson of the corporations’ committee of the house of representatives of the Rhode Island general assembly.
- The chairperson of the corporations’ committee of the Senate of the Rhode Island general assembly.
- The chairperson of the finance committee of the Providence City Council.
- The chairperson of the committee on urban redevelopment and renewal and planning of the Providence City Council.
Or any designee of any of the above-named individuals.
Capital Center Commission:
Deming E. Sherman, Chairman
Barry Fain, Secretary/Treasurer
Providence Foundation’s Appointments:
City of Providence
Chairperson, Committee on Urban Redevelopment, Renewal and Planning
Chairperson, Committee on Finance
Design Review Committee of the Capital Center Commission:
Karen S. D. Grande
Deming E. Sherman, Chairman, Capital Center Commission
Meetings & Agendas
The full Capital Center Commission meets the second Wednesday of every month at the Department of Planning & Development, 444 Westminster Street, 1st Floor Conference Room, Providence, RI. Due to the coronavirus pandemic the CCC’s meeting are currently being conducted via the online platform “Zoom” as virtual public hearings authorized by Governor Raimondo’s Executive Order 20-05 dated March 16, 2020.
Capital Center Commission
Department of Planning & Development
444 Westminster Street, Suite 3A
Providence, RI 02903
Christopher Ise, Principal Planner/Administrative Officer