The Providence Great Streets Initiative is based on one guiding principle: that every street in Providence should be safe, clean, healthy, inclusive, and vibrant. Our streets are our largest public asset, covering over 13% of Providence’s total land area (over 1,500 acres), and play a central part in shaping our neighborhoods and impact that the way we live, work, play, and move around our city.
Learn more about Great Streets by reading the Great Streets Master Plan available here.
Follow the project on social media: #GreatStreetsPVD
February 2020 Update: Several Great Streets improvement projects are either recently complete or in process for construction this year, including:
- Creation of a new Urban Trail segment along Mt Pleasant Avenue (IN DESIGN);
- Creation of a new Urban Trail segment along Clifford Street in Downtown (UNDER CONSTRUCTION);
- Creation of a new Urban Trail segment along San Souci Drive behind Olneyville Square as part of the Woonasquatucket Greenway (COMPLETE);
- Creation of a new Urban Trail segment along Manton Avenue between San Souci Drive and Aleppo Street (IN DESIGN);
- Upgrade of the existing bike lanes on Broadway to a two-way Urban Trail (IN DESIGN);
- Urban Trail improvements in Downtown including new segments on Empire, Chestnut, and Richmond streets and an extension of the Fountain Street bike lane across Dorrance Street (IN DESIGN);
- Creation of a new Urban Trail segment adjacent to Gano Street in Fox Point, connecting the Blackstone Bike Path to India Point Park and the East Bay Bike Path; (COMPLETE)
- New bike lanes on Pine and Friendship streets in Upper South Providence (UNDER CONSTRUCTION);
Neighborhood meetings about upcoming Great Streets projects:
- Smith Hill & Wanskuck improvements: Tuesday, March 3 | 6:00-7:30 PM | Brooklyn Coffee Tea and Guest House, 209 Douglas Ave
What’s proposed: Safety improvements along the Upper Dean Street/Raymond Street corridor between the Woonasquatucket River and Smith Street including crosswalk improvements and a two-way urban trail (including an off-road portion through Davis Park); safety improvements along Douglas Avenue including crosswalks and bike lanes.
- South Providence, Elmwood, and West End improvements: Tuesday, March 10 | 6:00-7:30 PM | Bomes Theater, 1017 Broad St
What’s proposed: Safety improvements along Broad Street including crosswalk enhancements, lead pedestrian intervals at crosswalks, a two-way urban trail, and bus stop improvements in coordination with RIPTA; traffic calming and signage as part of neighborhood greenway segments along Oxford Street, Ontario Street, Sackett Street, Farragut Ave, Vermont Ave, Peace Street, Waverly Street, Fricker Street, and Lockwood Ave.
- South Water St improvements: Tuesday, March 31 | 6:00-7:30 PM | 321 South Main St
What’s proposed: a two-way urban trail and pedestrian safety improvements from Canal Walk to Point/Wickenden Street
Great Streets Documents
- Schedule of neighborhood meetings in March 2019
- Neighborhood meeting presentation in English and in Spanish
- Final Great Streets Plan
- Presentation from June 12 public presentation
- More documents will be available here as they become available
Alex Ellis, Principal Planner
Stay tuned for additional information!
Whenever possible, the City brings the planning process to existing community gathering places. This includes attending standing community meetings, tabling at special events, and canvassing out in the neighborhood. If you are interested in having City staff or our Street Ambassadors conduct outreach at your event, please contact Alex Ellis at 401-680-8522 or