Call 1-877-3HCRIME (support available 24 x 7)
HOW TO CALL
- call 1-877-3HCRIME (1-877-342-7463)
- or download the PVD311 app for easy access.
HOW IT WORKS
The hotline is available to you 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Upon calling you will be supported by a trained call operator that is there to assist you with your concern.
ABOUT THE HOTLINE
The Hotline serves constituents and visitors of Providence who are experiencing any kind of hate crime (see below for details). This resource is not meant to be one size fits all. Depending on the nature of your topic, the call screener will support you in a variety of ways including emergency management and connections to resource referrals, advocacy groups and additional requests for city services.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is a Hate Crime?
The FBI has defined a hate crime as “a criminal offense that is, at least partially, motivated by a bias toward a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender, or gender identity.”
What does the city do if I report a violent hate crime?
The Hotline is a direct connection to emergency management support. In the event of an emergency, the police will respond. Depending on the needs, requests, and comfort of the constituent, and the specific issues being addressed, the police and/or call screener may also involve a liaison or additional organization to help support and advocate for them.
What if I am dealing with a unique experience or I would just like to get connected with an intermediary to support me in this process?
Liaison support can be made available for areas where constituents have special concerns or needs. These support systems include:
- Support for protected classes: Contact the Director of the Providence Human Relations Commission, at 3-1-1
Additional Resources & Agencies to Contact for Support:
Day One Victims of Violence Helpline, RI
1 (800) 494-8100 or www.dayoneri.org/
Dorcas International Institute of RI
(401) 784-8600 or www.diiri.org
Crime Victims Fund
1-800-363-0441 or www.ovc.gov/
GLAD – Legal Advocates & Defenders for the LGBTQ Community
Institute for the Study and Practice of Non-violence
(401) 785-2320 or www.nonviolenceinstitute.org
National Center for Transgender Equality
(202) 642-4542 or www.transequality.org
(401) 728-5920 or www.progresolatino.org
RI Commission on Human Rights
(401) 222-2661 or http://www.richr.ri.gov/
Sojourner House – Local victims of violence and sexual assault resource
(401) 765-3232 or www.sojournerri.org
Southern Poverty Law Center
(334) 956-8200 or www.splcenter.org/
1-800-273-8255 or www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
TGI Network of RI – Local transgender resource
(401) 441-5058 (voicemail), email@example.com, or www.tginetwork.org
1-800-232-4636 or www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/youthviolence/schoolviolence/tools.html
Youth Pride Inc. – Local LGBTQ youth resource
(401) 421-5626, firstname.lastname@example.org, or www.youthprideri.org