New England’s Largest Indoor Display Garden.
The Roger Williams Park Botanical Center is an oasis in the heart of Roger Williams Park. There are over 23,000 square feet of indoor display gardens. The Conservatory contains a variety of palms, there are orange trees, a carnivorous plant bog, and an arid desert. Water features and a moon gate help to create a relaxing atmosphere. The outdoor gardens include a rose maze, perennial gardens, edible forest, and a pollinator garden. There are also three goats on the property to help control poison ivy and invasive plant species.
- As a City entity, it is our goal to serve the community by offering programs and opportunities that engage and connect people with nature.
- The Botanical Center is a unique garden experience because our focus is on ecological practices that are in alignment with nature rather than only focusing on creating plant perfection. Want to learn more? Come by to view these ongoing practices.
- We do this by:
- using beneficial insects to decrease pest problems
- leaving leaves in the fall to create habitats for native insects and pollinators
- reducing the use of carbon-producing equipment like mowers and leaf blowers by allowing grassy areas to become low-mow or meadows
- allowing plants to grow in a more natural manner rather than intense maintenance and pruning for perfection
Memberships Volunteer Support E-Newsletter